There's nothing like being outside and enjoying fun activities like bike riding, hiking, and swimming. However, a lot of people forget to protect their eyes when they are out and about. Eye protection from the sun is vital in keeping your eyes and vision healthy. The ultraviolet rays from the sun can damage cells in the eye and cause problems. At Today's Vision Barker Cypress in Cypress, TX, our optometry specialists can help you understand eye care related to the sun. We will guide you on how to keep your eye health and vision at their best.
Ultraviolet light comes in two forms of rays, UVA and UVB. UVB rays cause sunburn. UVA rays penetrate the skin more deeply and plays a role in forming skin cancer. Both forms of UV rays can damage the macula, cornea, and lens of your eyes. Frequent exposure to damaging UV rays can lead to several eye conditions, such as macular degeneration, cataracts, corneal sunburns, and cancer. Our eye doctor can help you learn how to protect your eyes from the sun. Damage to your eyes is cumulative, and it can take a long time before symptoms become present. Regular and consistent protection from the sun is the best way to take care of your eyes.
Sun Protection Tips
Eye protection from the sun may seem simple, but it involves more than just wearing a pair of sunglasses. Here are some recommendations:
- Wear a hat with sunglasses: A hat can provide additional blockage from UV rays than sunglasses alone.
- Avoid peak hours: The sun is normally strongest between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Always wear protective gear if you are out during these hours.
- Wear the right sunglasses: We provide sunglasses at our facility. Our optometrist can help you decide which sunglasses are best for you.
- Protect yourself on cloudy days: Many people may think that sun rays are only damaging on sunny days. However, always practice safe eye care, even when the sun is not shining that bright.
- Avoid looking at the sun: Directly looking into the sun can damage your retinas.
Visit Our Optometrist in Cypress, TX for Sunglasses and Eye Care
Protecting your eyes from the sun requires several things, including a comprehensive eye exam from our eye doctor to ensure you are healthy. At Today's Vision Barker Cypress in Cypress, TX, our optometry team will guide you on how to avoid UV ray damage to your eyes. Call us today to schedule an appointment.